Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Into the Wild

Ever read the book Into the Wild?




It's a book written about a twenty-something year old who hiked out to the Alaskan wilderness without proper supplies, and dies. I bet you're wondering how the author got two hundred pages squeezed out of that story. Well, like every story, it's more than that.

It talks about the boy's, Christ McCandless's, rejection of mainstream society. His desire to find himself, and to do so alone, in solitude chasing adventure. It's tragic that when he finally found himself, it was too late.


I'll admit, at first I thought McCandless was reckless, arrogant, and a bit off-his-rocker. As his story progressed, I can't say that I still didn't think those things, but I learned a bit more about him, about society and about finding yourself.


Here and now, in our materialistic society, it's sometimes hard to stick to morals or determine what's really important. But at the end of the day, it's you who make those decisions.


It's your choice. So don't be afraid to be happy, to chase adventure, to live life and to laugh. A lot.


Just something I've been thinking about. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment